BBM Law5th Dec 2019
BBM Inc is a firm conducting a general legal practice from 5 offices situated in Rosebank, Bedfordview, Pretoria, Umhlanga Ridge (Durban) and Cape Town.
While there may be a perception that most lawyers can assist clients with problems in very diverse areas of the law, at BBM we believe in sourcing the best available talent and ensuring that those attorneys specialise in the area of law for which they have the most aptitude, skill and passion. In this way, BBM Inc has grown its staff and skills base with a view to exclusively offering specialised services.
BBM is proud to be a South African firm, which to us means ensuring that all aspects of our business contribute to the development of our country.
We believe that the reason for our continued growth over the last 15 years in particular can be attributed to a dynamic infrastructure, motivated and ambitious Directors, incentivised and competent staff and the development within the firm of people and technology.
We have invested substantially in ensuring that the computer networks at and between our offices conform with the latest technology and have direct access to all databases of relevance. We are constantly upgrading our systems in order to ensure we remain at the forefront of the technological developments which allow us to maintain an effective working relationship with our clients while still offering a highly personalised service.
At BBM, professionalism is foremost on our list of priorities and we pride ourselves on running our day-to-day business, from the telephone manner of our staff to the timeous generation of legal work and effective reporting to clients, in a way which accords with a professional attitude. Our firm is committed to setting the highest standards in all fields.
BBM Law Areas of Practice
Supporting community living
BBM Inc has grown its staff and skills base with a view to being able to offer specialised services in the areas of law which we practise. As the firm grows in size and in expertise, so the areas of speciality increase.
Sectional title and developments
The Sectional Title Department at BBM Attorneys has experienced phenomenal growth over the past ten years. Providing an excellent, specialised service to the Sectional Title Industry has always been the aim of this dynamic team.
Marina Constas and her team are at the forefront of many new developments in the law, and understand the needs of owners and trustees. The support of the National Association of Managing Agents has spurred the team on to find solutions to the problems facing Managing Agents, and to improve the relationship between Managing Agents and Trustees of buildings.
Our achievements at BBM include:
- Promoting mediation in the industry;
- Adding value to the industry by conveying information via the media, radio and television;
- Writing articles which are published in respected journals;
- Spreading the legal net of information by offering Sectional Title Services at our five branches across the country; i.e.: Houghton, Bedfordview, Pretoria, Umhlanga and Cape Town;
- Assisting Developers and promoting integrity in this arena.
Learn more and download relevant act documents here
Estates and Estate Planning
- Administration and Winding Up of Deceased Estates
- Estate Planning
- Succession and the Drawing of Wills, Testaments and Codicils
- Registration, Variation and Amendment of Inter Vivos Trusts
- Trust Management
- Matrimonial Property
- Antenuptial Contracts
- Deeds of Sale & Transfers of immovable property (including auction, liquidation and deceased estates)
- Sale, lease and joint venture agreements, Subdivisions and consolidations, Registration of mortgage bonds and notarial bonds
- Registration of servitudes, Commercial and residential developments (both sectional title and freehold/cluster)
- Sectional Title and Shareblock schemes, Proclamation of townships & Hotel developments
- Timeshare schemes, Rental pool schemes, Eco developments & Notarial Practice
Other areas of expertise include:
Commercial and Litigation
- Administrative and Constitutional Law, Arbitration and Alternative Dispute Resolution & Banking and Finance
- Capital Markets and Securities Law, Commercial Litigation, Competition Law & Construction and Engineering
- Copyright Law, Corporate and Commercial Law, Due Diligence & Employment Law
- Forensics and White Collar Crime, Franchising & Licensing, Insolvency, Insurance & Insurance and Financial Services
- Intellectual Property, Lease Disputes, Litigation, Media and Entertainment, Mediation, Mergers and Acquisitions
- Restraints of Trade and Unlawful Competition, Sports Law and Player/Athlete Management, Trade Marks
- Private International Law
- International Trade
- Immigration and Emigration
- Work Permits
- Cross Border Divorces
- Ante Nuptial Contracts
- Custody of Minors
- Bail Applications
- Commercial Crimes Court
- Criminal Defences
- Assisted Prosecutions
- Credit Card
- Bond Foreclosures
- Vehicle Repossessions
- Arrear Levy Collections
- General Debtor Collections
We believe that by practising Law in South Africa today, Attorneys are in the unique position of experiencing hands-on change management processes. In order to adapt and thrive in a dynamic environment, the policy of Black Economic Empowerment (“BEE”) is to be embraced, not for the sake of compliance but because we believe it produces true team-spirit and results in greater efficiency by better harnessing the human resources our country has to offer. We would go further and unequivocally state that a BEE policy must ensure the transformation of the culture of companies to the point where they are not simply BEE compliant, but are truly South African at heart.
Our strategy is to actively measure ourselves against the guidelines on BBBEE as published by the DTI in order to achieve the goals as set out by a three year plan which has been formulated in order to comply with all of the pillars of BEE. BBM Inc employs 118 staff member of which half are from previously disadvanteged communities.
We believe in building from within and in this way promote training and advancement for all staff. As examples, most of our Candidate Attorneys are from previously disadvantaged communities – in a firm where most Directors were previously Candidate Attorneys at the same firm, this is significant.
As a result of the BBBEE guildelines published by the DTI early in February 2007, we urgently commissioned a rating agency to assess our position. On the basis of this process we had a preliminary rating as a Level 6 contributor on the Qualifying Small Enterprise (QSE) scorecard. As a result of our efforts in this area, we were subsequently reassessed as a Level 5 contributor and then as a Level 2 contributor! Most recently, we have been re-categorised under the Generic scorecard which has far more stringent requirements and our rating has dropped to Level 5. As a result we have made further improvements to those areas which were not previously rated under the QSE scorecard and are currently awaiting our updated rating which we anticipate will be Level 4.