What’s cooking on the Kingswood course?4th Apr 2022
Liesel Niehaus of Kingswood Golf Operations (KGO) sheds some light on the season that was, when a record number of players chose this fine course for their festive games with near and dear ones. The Golf Ops team also kindly provided a list of coming attractions, with many a date for players and residents to diarise.
Considerable efforts made by everyone tasked with maintaining the KGE course, and by those in charge of facilitating its smooth operation, contributed to a most successful turnout of visitors and locals during the 2021/22 summer holidays.
‘It was a wonderful season, not only because of the attendance and accolades of foreigners who managed to visit SA and George once the international travel ban was revoked late last year, but also through the generous support of local members and residents.
‘We received lots of compliments for the pristine state of the course, and it didn’t hurt that we had the best weather George could possibly deliver for the majority of the holiday months,’ says Liesel.
There is currently nothing to report in terms of new projects or investments made by KGO since the acquisition late last year of a whole new golf cart fleet, which was featured in the December 2021 edition of The BUZZard.
Suffice to say that the new Mobi G carts have delivered the goods from the word go, with a gratifying lack of teething problems. So the KGO crew is satisfied that it was the right decision, and they are receiving excellent support from Sean Farrell and his team at local service providers Golf Guys.
From the horse’s mouth
If you need any additional convincing about the fun had at Kingswood over the past few months, these reviews shared on social media by a handful of happy customers should confirm the claims:
‘Very nice, really enjoyed the experience a lot.’ – Local guide Uli Koekemoer
‘Loved it!’ – Cecelia Westerduin
‘Beautiful landscape, friendly people.’ – Rolando Jansen
‘Awesome course, great vibes, friendly peeps … great value for time.’ – Wynand Fourie
Seasonal facts and stats
The Kingswood peak season usually falls between 15 December and 15 January the next year. A report drawn up by KGO to coincide with these dates revealed the following results for that period, as well as a telling comparison of player numbers over the past two years:
- The year 2020/21 saw 5,091 players on the Kingswood course, whereas 5,371 golfers signed up for games during 2021/22. This means that KGO had a healthy 5.5% increase of members and visitors who played the Kingswood course over the festive season.
- A tally of the homeowner turnout also pointed to a hike in numbers – of the 5,091 players for 2020/21, 86 were KGE property owners, compared to 105 of the 5,371 players recorded during the 2021/22 season, which marks a 22.1% increase of property owners tackling their home-turf course.
Play dates to diarise
‘The Friday 9-Holes Sundowner is a collaboration between the fantastic team at Stanmar-Mercedes-Benz and two Kingswood homeowners, who wanted to get the KGE community together and more involved at the clubhouse,’ says KGO golf coordinator Juané Maritz.
‘The event happens once a month on a Friday afternoon and includes a nine-hole round of golf followed by a braai on the estate, so it is the perfect opportunity to get to know your fellow Kingswood residents – but please take note that it’s for over-18s only. The next event will take place on Friday 1 April.’
Don’t be fooled – it is a must-attend event! Call the Pro Shop on 086 172 7170 for more information or to secure your part of the action. And the events listed below, scheduled over the next quarter, are also fully deserving of your support:
- Sunday 3 April – Monthly Sunday Competition
- Sunday 10 April – Ladies and Junior Target36
- Thursday 21 April – Mercedes-Benz 9-Holes After Work Golf Cup
- Sunday 1 May – Monthly Sunday Competition
- Friday 6 May – The Epic Foundation Golf Day
- Sunday 8 May – Ladies and Junior Target36
- Friday 13 May – Stanmar-Mercedes-Benz Sundowner and Braai
- Saturday 4 June – Windhoek Pairs (Day 2)
- Sunday 5 June – Monthly Sunday Competition, Ladies and Junior Target36
- Friday 10 June – Stanmar-Mercedes-Benz Sundowner and Braai
- Saturday 18 June and Sunday 19 June – Southern
- Cape Women’s Mid-Am Championship and Southern
- Cape Women’s Senior Championship
Please note that above dates are subject to change. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for additional information or to book your round.