Contact Us

Download the Connected Living app.


1st Floor Lona House
212 Upper Buitengracht
Bo Kaap, Cape Town, 8001

Jaime-Lee Gardner
072 171 1979

Louise Martin
073 335 4084

All rights reserved © 2019 Copyright Estate Living.

Our site uses cookies and other data to improve your experiance.
Please read our privacy policy to familiarise yourself with how we use this information.


, |


, |

The CSOS was established in terms of the Community Schemes Ombud Service Act, 2011 (Act No 9 of 2011) to regulate the conduct of parties within community schemes.


A credible, world class ombud service for community schemes in South Africa.


To promote harmonious community schemes by providing regulation, education and accessible dispute resolution services to all relevant stakeholders.


  • Accountability
  • Excellence
  • Independence
  • Integrity

The Community Schemes Ombud Service (CSOS) is the regulatory authority for all community schemes in South Africa. It came into operation on 7 October 2016 with a mandate to:

  • Regulate the conduct of parties in community schemes; to regulate, control and quality assure all scheme governance
  • Provide a dispute resolution service
  • Provide stakeholder training, consumer education and awareness for property owners, occupiers and other stakeholders
  • Ensure that the organisation is managed in an efficient and sustainable manner.

The CSOS is a schedule 3A public entity, an entity of the Department of Human Settlements, Water and Sanitation.

Registering a Community Scheme

In terms of the CSOS Act, all community schemes must register with the CSOS.

Registration must be filed within 30 days of the coming into effect of the CSOS Regulations (07 October 2016) or the community scheme’s date of incorporation according to applicable laws.

Registration is filed by completing the prescribed Form CS 1 and can be completed online or emailed to

There is no fee applicable to the registration of a community scheme.

Contact CSOS directly


Registration FAQ’s

Q: Why do we have to register?

A: It is a statutory obligation in terms of section 59 and Regulation 18(8) of the CSOS Act & Regulation that All community schemes register with the CSOS.

Q: How do I register a community scheme?

A: Registration is done by completing and submitting the CS1 Form. Completed forms can be emailed to

or hand deliver to a CSOS office. The CS1 requires community schemes to detail their domicile, governance documents, the executive committee, managing agent, the financials and authorised representative.

Q: Who must sign the declaration on Form CS1?

A: The person authorised to sign on behalf of the scheme must sign the declaration. This could be a managing agent, chairperson of the Trustee or Chairperson of the Board of Directors.

Q: Form CS1 requires a copy of the title deed – which title deed is this?

A: The deed issued by the Deeds Office.

Q: Form CS1 requires a copy of the Certificate of Establishment, in instances where this document does not exist, what can schemes do?

A: Community schemes can apply to the Deeds Registry for a copy of the Certificate of Establishment.

Q: Will there be any penalties for not registering?

A: Yes, in terms of Section 34(1) of the CSOS Act which is explained in the CSOS’s Penalties and Offences Practice Directive.

Leave a comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Recent comments

No Comments

Post a comment

No Comments

Post a comment

Download the Connected Living app.

Thank you! Your subscription has been confirmed. You'll hear from us soon.
Subscribe to our mailing list and receive updates, news and offers